Well-Come!

Well-Come to Agent for Change, a blog created by Marly Silverman, to serve as a catalyst for change that is much needed on the issues affecting millions of individuals stricken with neuroendocrineimmune disorders worldwide. Through this blog I want to share ideas, exchange, communicate and find solutions for everyday living. The goal is to pursue quality of life that will make a difference in the lives of individuals with neuroendocrineimmune disorders (NEIDs).

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Question from Anonymous dated February 9, 2011


A reply to Anonymous e-mail, dated February 9, 2011,

Dear Anonymous,

You sent me the following e-mail below:
“You wrote:  “...that mutual respect, courtesy and civility is once again lacking and the anonymity of the internet allows this kind of behavior go unpunished..."

I agree that civility and courtesy, etc, are good things and an ideal worth striving for. But I wonder: just how would you go about PUNISHING someone for behavior that YOU don't like?”


First of all let me qualify something important. When you state “You don’t like”, addressing it to me, I need to state that raising the issues of civility, respect and courtesy, are not based in the “like” or “don’t like” capricious category such as “I like chocolate ice-cream” and “I don’t like vanilla ice-cream”. That is not what I said, nor it should be implied. It is much more profound. I hope you understand that too.

Therefore here is my answer: I will not remain silent. I will encourage others not to remain silent. One good example is in the blog “For every naysayer complaining of an organization, point to something good these organizations have done. Do not be silent! One does not have to engage in a heated exchange, one can just say what it comes from the heart. At the end of the day the same rights one individual has in order to state a hateful position applies to a kind one too. Why are we so afraid to confront the tone of these voices?

Let me be clear, I am not advocating preventing someone from expressing what he or she feels; I am only expressing concern over the delivery of the message. The reality is that until someone walks in someone else shoes, (by the way the name of PANDORA’s official walkathon is “WalkInMyShoes™) one cannot 100% express that he or she is the absolute holder of the truth. It works both ways! It is also accepted by reasonable people that patients who diminish one organization over another are doing a disservice to the overall cause. As a patient I take umbrage on these types of approaches. As a patient I have to stand up and question one’s motives.”

The message is our community needs to be stronger and unified. We need solidarity. We do not all have to march identically and to the same beat, but the core of our (NEIDs) community standards, interests, values and objectives must be embraced collectively. When we do, meaningful change will come successfully. The time is now. 

Anonymous, I appreciate your question. Thank you.


No comments: